Thursday, March 23, 2006

Sing Me A Song

A new musical depicting horrific scenes of suffering and torture in North Korea has just opened in a theatre in South Korea.

Musicals have often been used as a vehicle to raise awareness about controversial issues. Recently my wives and I re-watched this:



and I was once again reminded of how powerful and effective musicals can be. I think I might have even shed a tear or two.

Following on in this noble tradition I can’t wait for:


“Operation Iraqi Freedom – The Musical”

Featuring the well loved musical numbers:

"I Have Confidence In Me"

"Edelweiss"

"Favorite Things"


"Lonely Goatherd"


"So Long, Farewell"

And finally:


"The Sound of Freedom"

4 Comments:

Blogger lili said...

I am cooking up a State Library musical in my head... it's called "Shh!", and the opening number will be "If I Had a Bigger Budget". The breakaway pop hit will be "Does that Guy in the Running Shorts Really Work Here?(He Looks Like Forrest Gump)", and the tear-jerker is "How Come Only Women Work Here?"
My solo is "(How Many Times Do I Have To Say It)I'M NOT A LIBRARIAN!".

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

G.O.L.D! Or, sould that be O.I.L!
Anyhoo, what I mean is bloody* unreal post, Canoe! Pissed myself laughing (only thing we can do to avoid the tears).

I wonder who the love interest would be in “Operation Iraqi Freedom – The Musical”? Perhaps the American public? Or is that naive of me? Maybe it's George Snr. Or Satan.

*Please note: this comment is not appropriate for public television in Britain between the hours of 5.30pm and 8.30pm.

2:24 PM  
Blogger canoe said...

Lili - I think your musical should have a dramatic number called "It's raining books" where you almost get buried beneath a pile of hundred year old books and a muscular, handsome stranger rescues you.

Snazzie - I hate to say it but I think the love interest is Condi Rice. I can just see her singing to Georgie as he's about to beg Congress for another billion dollars for security in Iraq, "You are so much older and wiser, I'll, depend, on you."

3:39 PM  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

Greatest blogpost EVER. I love you SO MUCH.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home