Friday, March 24, 2006

Disgruntled Toy Maker











I know I'm a little late off the mark with this story, considering it broke several days ago, but it was too intriguing not to post about.

Danish Company LEGO has expressed anger at a poster launched by the United Nations in their Campaign for International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination.

The company claims the image links racist behaviour directly to the company LEGO and by association, to Denmark.

The UN has subsequently withdrawn the poster and apologised.

I can't decide whether the reaction to this is overly sensitive, similar in nature to the time I cried hysterically when the chocolate cake I baked deflated like a balloon the second I took it out of the oven, my mother assuring me over the phone that this did not mean I was a failure at being a grown-up.

On the other hand, given the fall-out from the publication of the cartoons depicting Muhammad, perhaps the reaction is actually quite reasonable.


I think the saddest aspect of this is that given current world events, this kind of hyper-sensitivity is only likely to increase.

1 Comments:

Blogger unique_stephen said...

I find this post offensive. its insensitive to hyper-sensitivity people.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home