Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Michael Franti



Recently Michael Franti travelled through Iraq, Israel and Palestine and has made a documnetary called I Know I'm Not Alone that will be screening at Cinema Nova in Melbourne from April 13. Here is the description of the film from the nova website:

Armed with an acoustic guitar and a video camera, world-renowned musician, poet and activist Michael Franti takes us on a musical journey through war and occupation in Iraq, Israel and Palestine. Along the way he shares his music with families, doctors, musicians, soldiers and everyday people who in turn reveal to him the often overlooked human cost of war. Told in their own words, this film provides a rare glimpse into the lives of those who are affected by the war the most. Michael’s story-telling and songs masterfully weave the film into a visual and musical tribute to the resilience of the human spirit. The documentary captures beautiful imagery of humanity and the terrible destruction war brings, incorporation musical montages and a soundtrack written during and after the experience performed by Michael Franti.

Here is the link to the official webiste.

Am curious to see what this is like. Am also immensely jealous. When I casually mentioned to my mother the other day that I'd love to go to Iraq to do research on the democratic transition there she threatened to lock me in the spare bedroom of the family home and never let me out again. Ever.

3 Comments:

Blogger jonny said...

mothers say stuff like that. out of love i guess .and about the movie. fuck i want to see it. i might swim over from nz. but i guess if i tell my mother she will lock me inside the room. and never let me out. ever.

enjoy it bro

6:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

so she'll lock you in and you can blog all the time about it?

2:33 AM  
Blogger canoe said...

j-I did try and compromise. Said I'd just go to Iran instead. She's currently re-fitting some serious super locks to bedroom door.

treespotter-Apart from the rosellas outside and the many cups of tea I'm afraid the locked in house blogging would be rather tedious. I suppose I could shift focus from Middle East politics to the merits of drinking tea from fine bone china.

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home