Monday, May 22, 2006

WARNING: Contains excessive sentimentality


This morning I had one of those moments where the world seems slightly more in focus, where colours are brighter and images sharper and my heart beat a litter bit faster. It was one of those moments when an idea is articulated so simply and beautifully that one feels inspired and full of hope that ideas really can change the world for the better.

Ok. So it was a cold, grey morning and I was reading about American nationalism. Should have been depressing, but then I’m the kind of person who takes a comprehensive history of the Middle East to bed with me. There’s nothing like a good hard cover to keep you warm at night.

Anyway, the point is I’ve always loved ideas. I love learning. About anything and everything. I also spent a good proportion of my teenage years hating school with a fiery passion. There were, however, one or two teachers who were amazingly inspired and inspiring people. Teachers whose love of ideas shone through the often restrictive curriculum. My literature teacher was one of those people. Most people I know have a similar figure in their past who inspired them with a love of learning and knowledge.

I just came across
this article in The Australian about the immense difficulties young women in Afghanistan face trying to go to school and have access to even the most basic education. While the situation is certainly much better now than it was under the Taliban, it is still horrendous.

“Although the Taliban were overthrown by a US-led coalition in 2001, the fundamentalists continue to close down secular education.

Most girls across the struggling nation are denied even basic education because their scared parents refuse to send them to school.

The insurgents have burned down up to 90 schools in the past six months, according to the parliament's education committee.

As many as 200 schools have closed. The insurgents have killed teachers and left threatening "night letters" on the doors of schools and teachers' homes.”

I know it’s a well worn cliché, but God it’s easy to forget how bloody lucky we are.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jellyfish said...

Canoodle. That was beautiful. Also, it affirms my entire life thus far and my choice of future career. THANKYOU!

And where did you get that photo? It's sensational!

2:47 PM  
Blogger canoe said...

Jelly, I think what you are planning on doing is possibly the bravest and most difficult of jobs. I have so much respect. Plus, you'll be AWESOME at it.

The photo was a google image search with the words vintage children classroom. Vintage children are cute. Actually, I looked remarkably like the little blond sitting in the front.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home